Sunday, August 19, 2012

A separate pot for mother


Once upon a time in a far off village there lived a polter family. The family comprised the young polter, his wife, their small son and the old mother of the polter.

Though the family was small and hardly had any substantial problem, it would often see feud between the polter’s young wife and old mother on peltry issues. The polter’s wife always insisted with her husband to make separate arrangement for his old mother. However, the polter was not convinced with his wife. The polter would say to his wife, “Mother is old and alone. How can she live in separate house? Life long she worked hard to look after the family and cared for each of my requirement when I was small. Now when I’m grown up, It’s my duty to give her comfort. Being my wife you too should co-operate and take care of her.”

But the self-centered wife had hardly any impact of these wise words, rather she argued, “What difference it would make if she stays in a different hut adjacent to ours. I am ready to prepare food for her, which she can collect from here every morning and evening. I’ll even take care of her if she stays separately. But I don’t want her and her intrusion here in my family. Beside this, our growing child requires a lot of attention and if we keep on staying amidst such unpeace that will not be healthy for him as well.”

The husband and wife’s quarrel often ended without any conclusion. The polter was not ready to separate his old mother and his wife was hell bent to throw the mother out of her house.

After day’s hard work when the polter would return home, the quarrel and heated argument between the two women welcomed him everyday. Day be day the family unpeace was aggravating. Fade up of the entire quarrel, the polter decided to build separate hut for his mother to avoid more ugly sense.

At some distance away from his house he built a small hut for his old mother. He shifted his mother’s bed and clothes there. Beside this he placed two pots, one for water and other for her food.

Every morning and evening when the food was cooked, the old woman would turn up to her daughter in law with the food pot in her hand. The polter’s wife would fill the pot with the cooked food. The old woman then quietly returned to her hut.

The polter’s wife was happy and content with the new arrangement but not her little son Gopal. He was quite quizzed and pieced with the whole affair. The child was quite attached to his grandma and now when she was not living with him, he was filling lovely and hurt. Everyday he would see his Grandmother coming to his place to collect food and then quietly going away. Gopal tried to enquire with his father, the reason for such shift. But the polter evaded his son’s question considering him small to explain the complexities of the relations.

Small Gopal could not get answer for his quires but his mind was in unrest. He would often sneak out of his house and reach the Grandma’s hut. The old lady rejoiced to see her grandson. She loved him and told interesting stories. It went like this for some time. Gradually Gopal began accepting the new arrangement. probably he consoled his heart with the reasoning that all and every mothers are separated by their grown up sons when they have their own family.

One day the polter was away on some business. Small Gopal who was playing in the courtyard noticed pot wheel unattended. Everyday he would see his father making beautiful pots on the wheel. So to try one, he went there and began making a pot with his small hands.

Meanwhile, the polter’s wife stepped out in the courtyard angel saw her son building a pot. She was happily surprised on her young son’s deftness. “Brilliant!” she murmured, “ He will certainly bring laurel for the family one day.”

The overwhelmed mother went to her son and sat beside him. She them patted him affectionately and asked softly, “For whom are you making pot, my sweetheart!”
“For you, Mom!” reply came at once from the son.
The mother was all too glad to hear this. “Really!” cried the overjoyed mother, “O my darling, How much you love your mother!”
Gopal said, “Now, I am making this pot for you because you’ll require it when I’ll grow up and get married. That time you’ll have to stay separately and you’ll come with this pot to ask food from my wife.”

The mother was stunned to hear her little one’s innocent explanation. All her joy evaporated. She held her head with both of her hands and exclaimed, “What I did? I dug up the pit for my own grave! I corrupted my little one’s mind with the wrong way of thinking.” The tears rolled down from the eyes of the polter’s wife. The tears of regret wiped out all the malign against her mother in law. Her heart was broadened and pure now.

She got up and rushed to the old woman’s nut. The mother in law was sitting out in front of her nut. The polter’s wife slowly went there and bowed on her feet. She said, “Mother, Please forgive me for all my past misdeeds. I was unwise. In my ignorance, I hurt you many times. But, now I’m aware of my follies and so I promise you to take a good care of you. Please come back to your house, mother.”


The woman’s voice was choked with emotion. The old woman rose her up and hugged passionately. The mother and daughter in laws then returned home to live together happily thereafter.

2 comments: